Food is one commodity that no matter how expensive it is, people will still purchase because it is needed to maintain life and improve growth. Food is any substance which is either consumed whole or mixed with other food supplement to maintain and provide the support needed by an organism. Food can be gotten by either go around in search of it which is known as hunting or planting it directly (which is farming) or buying the food substance from the market. Food has nutritional values in our body system. After the food intake, the cells in our bodies begin to absorb them and then in turn provides us with the energy needed for the body to function, improves growth and builds up our whole body organs and systems.
Food is meant to be consumed in a balanced diet. A balance diet is a meal that contains all the six classes of food namely:
- Carbohydrate: Carbohydrate consisting mainly of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen bi-molecule. Carbohydrates are often called sugars because they contain the lowest and highest molecular form of sugar which is the monosaccharides and polysaccharides. The saccharides include the sugars, starch and cellulose and this is why the carbohydrate foods are often referred to as energy building food e.g. rice, yam and cassava.
- Proteins: Protein are commonly referred to as body building food. They are one of the important nutrient needed in the body system. Proteins also give off energy because it takes time to digest.
- Lipids: Lipids which is referred to as fat is non-polar solvent soluble substance
- Vitamins: Vitamins are micronutrient which aid in metabolism rate of the body, even though they are needed in small quantity.
- Mineral Salts: Here the minerals are divided into the macro minerals and micro minerals and they are very important in building the chemical structure of a body.
- Water: Water is life. Water consists of hydrogen and oxygen in the right proportion. Water is needed for metabolism and good bowel movement. All the above mentioned should be eaten in the right proportion, fibres and roughages are very much inclusive. Ethiopians are all human beings so they need food to survive. Each country has a food that is peculiar to it and the Ethiopians are not left out. The food they consume are peculiar to them. Ethiopians eat food consisting mainly of vegetable and should be spicy as well. Food such as injera (which is more of flat bread), a spicy stew and meat. Kocho, roots of plants are also transformed to hot drinks called bulla, coffee with butter is called kibbeh; fibs (meat consumed with vegetables), Anchotte and many more.