The record label is a trademark company that deals with the production, recording graphic designs, videos, direction, manufacturing, marketing, online and offline promotion of music and videos as well. Every artist has a record label that he/she is signed under this is to help publicize their music on social media, on all music streaming app, the record label helps to promote, distribute and market the albums and singles on every media service platform available. The record label is always searching and trying to grow talent and bring up new artiste into the limelight while the artist and his/her manager keep a contract with the record label in turn and they do as much as possible to bridge the contract because that is where major problems between artiste and record label lie.
Just like every other trademark company in the world has both companies that privately owned, one that is collectively owned by group of persons and ones that known locally and some that are recognized internationally. There are three major record labels that are recognized around the globe and they include:
- The Universal Music Group: UMG is the largest music company in the world. It is own by Vivendi which is a French media and Tencent which is a Chinese technology company.
- Sony Music Group: It is owned by the Sony Corporation of America. It is the second-largest record label in the world.
- Warner Music Group: It is a public company. It was founded by Warner Bros. there are a lot of record labels that are locally recognized either at City level, State, National and Internationally level. Let’s check out the different record labels that can be found in Ethiopia. There is just two prominent record label that was birthed from Ethiopia and they include:
- Amha Records: Amha music record label in Ethiopia which was launched and is owned by Amha Eshete. A lot of Ethiopia artists and performers are signed under this record label, they include, Alemaychu Eshete who has been singing since 1960 till date. They have more than 100 singles and up to 10 albums released to market as record label.
- Buda Musique record label is a French record label has been in the limelight for 18 years and more. They have released more than 300 albums since it exists and has Aster Aweke and Alemayehu Ehete signed to their team.
- Kaifa Records: The company is owned and managed by Ali Abdella Kaifa which was founded in the year 1973.